Groot transforms into a massive monster, a new Spider-Verse hero emerges, Radiant Black gets a huge 2023 event, and much other comics news.
Groot transforms into a huge villain in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. The new Spider-Verse character appears from the comics to take on Electro and other enemies.
As we continue to the examination of the most significant comic news that happened in the past week, including those from Image Comics, Marvel, and others, please join us. These are the top news stories about comics in the last seven days.
Related: Star Wars launches huge 2023 event this week’s Comics News
- Kim-Joy, a finalist for 2018’s Great British Bake Off and bestselling author of cookbooks, is writing her debut graphic novel Turtle Bread: A Graphic Novel About Baking, Fitting in, as well as the Power of Friendship. The book features illustrations by Alti Firmansyah. Turtle Bread follows an individual named Yan who is trying to conquer her social anxiety after joining a new baking group. The graphic novel will be available digitally via ComiXology in May 2023. It will also be printed by Dark Horse Comics in 2023.
- ECV Analog and author Russ Burlingame are raising funds for a new book that explores the full story of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow. Time To Be Heroes: An Uncensored Guide to Legends of Tomorrow, which includes interviews with cast members and crew interviews with the actors who played characters in the cult CW series, is now available for funding through Kickstarter.
- Robert Kirkman, Invincible Invincible, and Matheus Lopes have joined forces for a new Skybound series titled Void Rivals. It will bring readers to a new universe. The series will be released in June 2023. The publisher stated about the series that “In Void Rivals, the war continues to rage within the Sacred Ring, where the final remnants of two worlds have collided in a black hole in a never-ending war. But when Captain Darak and his friend Solila both crash on an uninhabited planet, these two enemies must figure out a way to make it out together. But are they alone on this alien planet? What dark forces exist to threaten the universe?
RELATED: Sleeping Beauty’s Maleficent is a Villainous Disney Solo Series
Groot is made a monster by Guardians of the GalaxyTrailer
- The first trailer for Marvel’s new Guardians of the Galaxy series by Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, Kev Walker, and Matt Hollingsworth teases Groot changing into a huge, deadly monster that could destroy the entire Marvel universe.
- Marvel revealed the debut of the Guardians of the Galaxy series. “GUARDIANS of the Galaxy #1 introduces a new huge threat to the Marvel Universe. It’s GROOTFALL that was created from the very base of the team. Marvel’s intergalactic heroes will be pushed to the Manifold Territories by this mysterious phenomenon. This region of Marvel space is largely unexplored and lawless, with undiscovered aliens and planets not seen before.
- Guardians of the Galaxy#1 releases on 12 April 2023 from Marvel
Marvel Readies for Grootfall With New Variant Series
- In addition to the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer, Marvel also put out a new variant series celebrating the upcoming title and Groot’s upcoming solo series, which comes from creators Dan Abnett and Dan Abnett and artist Damian Couceiro.
- “To commemorate Groot’s huge year Marvel’s Stormbreakers Class of 2023 have depicted him in new variant covers!” The series was described by the publisher. “See Groot in all his various shapes and sizes lend a helping branch for the X-Men, Avengers, and more in these stunning pieces that will grace Marvel’s most popular titles through April.”
- The series also includes variations of Avengers: War Across Time #4 (on Sale April 5, 2023), Cosmic Ghost Rider #2 (on Sale April 12, 2023), Captain Marvel #48 (on Sale April 12, 2023), Captain Marvel #48 (on Sales April 12, 2023), Captain America: Symbol of Truth #12 (on stock April 12, 2023), X-Men #11 by Nic Klein (on Stock April 12, 2023), as well as Captain America: Symbol of Truth #12 (on SALE on April 26, 2023). Villa (on sale from April 26, 2023), Doctor Strange#2 by Lucas Werneck (on sale April 26, 2023), Invincible Iron Man#5 by Federico Vicentini (on sale April 26, 2023), and Sins of Sinister: Dominion#1 by Jan Bazaldua (on sale April 26, 2023).
RELATED: Agatha Harkness Officially Marvel’s Next Major Villain In Contest of Chaos Saga
The Spider-Verse is invaded by an ethereal Spider-Man
- Releasing on April 12, 2023. Marvel’s Voices: Spider-Verse will introduce a brand new Spider-Man character named Recluse. Cheryl Lynn Eaton, writer and Julian Shaw are creating a story of a Recluse combating Electro who threatens the world’s power and keeps the world in darkness.
- A different story from Marvel’s Voices: Spider-Versefrom writer and artist Jason Loo will also introduce readers to Spider-Friend who is a brand new hero who hails from a WandaVision-like area of the multiverse, which is filled with laughter tracks and is filmed in front of a live studio audience.
- Miles Morales and Spider-Punk will each be given their individual Marvel’s Voices: Spider-Versestories. Cody Ziglar and Jeremy Holt are also included in the anthology. Cover art comes from Leinil Francis Yu. There are also variations of covers by John Giang, Phil Jimenez, and Inhyuk Lee.
Radiant Black’s Massive-Verse Battles for the Future
- Image Comics has announced that a new Massive-Verse event called “The Catalyst War” will be happening in July 2023. The story is published on July 19’s Radiant Black#25 and is written by Kyle Higgins (Joe Clark), and Eduardo Ferigato. Raul Angulo, Marcelo Costa, Raul Agulo, Raul Angulo Becca Carey, and Marcelo Costa.
- “Catalyst is the machine-machine empire, with connections to the Radiants,” Higgins says in the teaser video put out by Image Comics. “But what’s their greater significance within the world? What do the radiants mean to them? What will it mean for Nathan, Marshall, and Earth when Catalyst appears to take back what is theirs? Nathan, Marshall, and the rest of the group will learn the truth about the Radiants with which they have been synchronized, battle with cosmic gods, and be forced to make more difficult decisions that could impact the lives and the future of billions.
RELATED: Marvel Gives Sharon Carter a Dramatic New Costume and Skull-themed Mask
Artist Olivier Coipel Prepares for Spider-Man’s most terrifying issue in 50 Years
- Marvel has unveiled a brand new variant cover designed by Olivier Coipel, Amazing Spider-Man#25.
- Amazing Spider-Man#25 has been teased by Zeb Wells and John Romita Jr. as the “most shocking issue of Amazing Spider-Man in fifty years.” Although the details are kept private at the moment, Romita Jr.’s main cover and the story arc of the series hint Mary Jane Watson may be the source of the “shock.”
- The synopsis of Amazing Spider-Man#25, which will be out on 10 May 2023, reads, “The past and the present collide in this massive and massive 25th issue! You’re not ready for this one.”
Ninja Turtles and Street Fighter Clash in New Art
- Ariel Medel, an artist, showed off new art from IDW’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs. Street Fighter crossover.
- Written by Paul Allor with art by the artist model and color created by Sarah My, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vs. Street Fighter is a miniseries of five issues that will be released in May 2023. IDW said about the crossover “Arriving in Atlantic City to compete in the world’s most prestigious tournament of fighting The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles quickly run afoul of the world-famous Street Fighter(TM) crew…and their legendary Psycho Powered fighting forms! The two teams clash instantly, eager to demonstrate their combat abilities and display their fighting ability. The tensions are already high and tensions escalate when both teams get involved in mysterious disappearances that plague the city. Could the tournament’s mysterious patron be the culprit?”
- Medel stated that her head had been in a state of explosion since she accepted the offer to me for the series. “Not just because the characters have affected me in many ways, personally, since their debuts and also due to the fact that they’re such famous! It’s special in that I’ve also watched movies as well as playing games. For me, this is the mother of all crossovers and to be able to draw both properties in the same comic is amazing.”